[CRYOLIST] J-ISM: A browser-based ice sheet model

Martin O'Leary m.e.w.oleary at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 08:48:12 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'd like to announce the release of the Javascript Ice Sheet Model (J-ISM), a browser-based ice sheet model for educational purposes. The model is based on Frank Pattyn's Excel-based GRANTISM, and should behave more or less identically to that model, which I'm sure many of you are familiar with.

The model is available to play with online at http://mewo2.com/ism.html and the code, for those interested, is on GitHub at https://github.com/mewo2/j-ism

The model has been tested on undergrads, many of whom survived the experience. The instructions I gave for the students (3rd year geography undergrads) are at http://mewo2.com/assets/model.pdf and http://mewo2.com/assets/practical.pdf - feel free to steal as much of this as you want for your own purposes.

Comments, issues and bugfixes are always welcome.

Martin

-- Martin O'Leary, Research Officer
Department of Geography, Swansea University