[CRYOLIST] measuring water level in rivers that freeze

Jakob Abermann jab at asiaq.gl
Thu Sep 18 07:58:52 PDT 2014

Hi all,
We have been using divers (http://www.swstechnology.com/groundwater-monitoring/groundwater-dataloggers/mini-diver) extensively to measure the water level in rivers in Greenland. One challenge is that we would often like to have data for an entire season but in winter the rivers freeze. The pressure membrane breaks when it is frozen into ice.
This means that we have to wait until water runs, install the diver and get back to the sites before it freezes. In the remote locations we are working in this is very costly and we would be really interested in developing a solution that can sustain freezing.
Is there anybody who has an advice for that?
We were thinking of a kind of camel bag filled with anti-freeze where the diver is embedded.
Any hints would be highly appreciated.
Best,
Jakob.

Jakob Abermann