[CRYOLIST] New PAGES working group on Pliocene climate

MCCLYMONT E.L. erin.mcclymont at durham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 08:41:57 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

Apologies for cross-postings.

We're pleased to announce the launch of a new PAGES Working Group:
                PlioVAR (Pliocene climate variability over glacial-interglacial timescales)
http://www.pages-igbp.org/ini/wg/pliovar/intro

The overall aim of PlioVAR is to co-ordinate a synthesis of terrestrial and marine data to characterise spatial and temporal variability of Pliocene climate (~2.6-5.3 million years ago). We are seeking datasets and scientific expertise with global reach, to increase our understanding of climate sensitivity to forcings in the past with both regional and global perspectives. We will examine marine and terrestrial evidence for e.g. temperature change, hydrology, and nutrient cycling, with the aim of understanding the interactions between different components of the climate system, including ocean-atmosphere circulation and continental ice volume.

Within PlioVAR we also aim to explore the biotic response to Pliocene climate variability, and the links between marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
Our programme builds on key priorities identified by the community at the PAGES-sponsored workshop in Barcelona, 2014 ("Multi-proxy approach to the reconstruction of the Pliocene climate"). Our initial focus will be the late Pliocene, where we have the greatest data density and constraints for model simulations, but a longer term goal is to extend these efforts to earlier intervals of the Pliocene epoch.

And/or contact a member of the Steering Group (http://www.pages-igbp.org/157-initiatives/working-group/pliovar/1206-people)

Best wishes
Erin McClymont
(On behalf of the PlioVAR Steering Committee)

Dr Erin McClymont
Department of Geography, Durham University
Lower Mountjoy, South Road
Durham DH1 3LE
erin.mcclymont at durham.ac.uk<mailto:erin.mcclymont at durham.ac.uk>