[CRYOLIST] SPIRIT images and DEMs freely available

Etienne Berthier Etienne.Berthier at legos.obs-mip.fr
Thu Dec 17 04:20:36 PST 2015

Dear colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce that the SPIRIT database is open again here:
https://theia.cnes.fr/rocket/#/search?collection=Spirit&view=default

SPIRIT was an IPY project which acquired SPOT5-HRS images over the
periphery of the two major ice sheets and other polar ice masses. During
the fourth IPY (2007-2009), the SPIRIT products were delivered for free.
Access to these products has been restricted since June 2010.

A SPIRIT product is made of one 5-m ortho-image, two 40-m DEMs and two
40-m correlation masks.

The database includes 110 products from IPY and over 30 new products
that were generated since 2010.  These new products cover (among
others), the North-East Greenland Ice Stream, Petermann Glacier,
Jakobshavn Isbrae, Pine Island Glacier, part of the Antarctic Peninsula,
the Cook Ice Shelf… Many of these new products have been generated using
a new set of correlation parameters (as presented in Flament et al., TC,
2014) with improved correlation success over textureless terrain.

A brief tutorial, how to browse the database:
http://etienne.berthier.free.fr/SPIRIT/SPIRIT_HintsToBrowseDatabase_v2.pdf

More details about the SPIRIT project here:
http://www.legos.obs-mip.fr/recherches/projets-en-cours/spirit

We hope that these data will be useful for your scientific projects and
will contribute to an improved understanding of the changes in the Polar
Regions.

Etienne Berthier (LEGOS) and Steven Hosford (CNES)

About SPIRIT :