[CRYOLIST] Scientific Researcher as leader of the Meteorology Observatories at the Neumayer Station and on board of the RV Polarstern
Lilian.Schubert at awi.de
Tue Aug 9 06:20:15 PDT 2016
Job type: Full time
The Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) is a member of the Helmholtz Association (HGF) and funded by federal and state government. AWI focuses on polar and marine research in a variety of disciplines such as biology, oceanography, geology and geophysics thus allowing multidisciplinary approaches to scientific goals. An integrated part in our range of tasks is the operation and the further development on board of the research vessel Polarstern, at the Neumayer Station in Antarctica and in Ny Alesund (AWIPEV) on Spitzbergen.
The research department Climate Sciences invites applications for a position as a
as leader of the Meteorology Observatories
at the Neumayer Station and on board of the RV Polarstern
to start at November 1, 2016.
You will be scientifically and organizationally responsible for the two meteorology observatories. This includes in particular the following tasks:
• Development of the concept of measurement systems and acquisition, processing and archiving of data;
• Scientific data analysis and publication;
• Development and realisation of creative scientific programmes and of concepts for longterm continuous measurements to embed the observatories in the AWI research programme;
• Development and realisation of joint projects in the frame of national and international programmes;
• Representation of the meteorology observatories in (inter-)national panels;
• Selfresponsible preparation and supervision of the Neumayer overwinterers;
• Support of the AWI logistics and of the weather forecast center for north Antarctica run by the German Weather Service (DWD);
• Cooperation with the Trace Gas- and the Geophysics Observatories and other research groups at the Neumayer Station;
• Coordination with the activities at the AWIPEV Observatory in Ny Alesund;
• Test and use of innovative measurement systems (such as unmanned flying objects, remote sensing etc.);
• Diploma or Master (M.sc.) and Promotion or graduation (Ph.D.) as well as profound scientific knowledge in meteorology (or in physics with comparative background in meteorology);
• Competence and multiyear experience in techniques of meteorological measurements;
• Ability to develop and implement scientific programs and concepts of measurements;
• Profound knowledge in data processing and management;
• Willingness to raise third party funding;
• Excellent skills in english and german;
• Willingness and medical fitness to participate in expeditions lasting several weeks.
• Practical experience in equipment technology and electronics;
• Experience in polar regions;
• Excellent skills in communications and presentation;
• Rejoice in team work, motivation and management of conflicts;
• Experience in fundraising
The position is initially limited to 2 years with the option to become permanent. The salary will be paid in accordance with a civil service position (TVöD Bund) based on qualifications and transferred tasks. The place of employment will be Bremerhaven.
We offer you a multi-disciplinary, international, and fascinating professional environment with flexible working hours, state-of-the-art research equipment, and a first-rate infrastructure.
AWI aims to increase the number of women in the scientific staff and therefore encourages women to apply. Disabled applicants will be given preference when equal qualifications are present. The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family through various means. Because of our engagement in the area of work-life compatibility we have been awarded the certificate “Career and Family”.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the CRYOLIST