[CRYOLIST] Grounding line topical session – Geological Society of America Annual Meeting (Oct. 22-25)

Nick Holschuh holschuh at uw.edu
Tue May 30 12:10:05 PDT 2017

Dear Cryolist Subscribers,

This year, the Geological Society of America’s Fall Meeting (scheduled for
Oct. 22 – 25) will be hosted in Seattle, Washington. Below we have
highlighted our session and associated field trip (focused on both modern
and paleo-grounding lines), as well as some of the other ice related
sessions that will be present.

*T42. Glacier and Ice Sheet Grounding Lines: Contemporary and Past
Observations of Grounding Line Processes, Behavior, and Landforms*

Abstract submission for this session
<https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2017AM/top/papers/index.cgi?sessionid=43035&username=294512&password=166214>:
Deadline – August 1st

For this session, we aim to bring together researchers working on
contemporary and past grounding lines through various approaches, such as
geophysical surveys of contemporary systems, geomorphological and
sedimentological observations from deglaciated landscapes and continental
 margins, and numerical model results. There is also an associated field
trip <http://community.geosociety.org/gsa2017/science-careers/fieldtrips>,
running 10/26, that will examine paleo-grounding lines on Whidbey Island.

We hope that, even if you feel your research doesn’t fit our session, you
will consider coming to this year’s meeting! While not an exhaustive list,
below we have included other possible sessions of interest that should make
for plenty of opportunities for good cryosphere discussion.

Nick Holschuh, Lauren Simkins, Alex Robel, and John Anderson

GSA Session List:

*T017*       Polar and Alpine Changes

*T174*       Cordilleran Ice Sheet Outburst Floods: From Glacial Lake
Missoula to the Hubbard Glacier

*T176*       Glacier-Landscape Interactions, Loess Paleoclimatology, and
Interdisciplinary Quaternary Science: In Memory of Stephen C. Porter

*T177*       Ice Streams of North American Ice Sheets and Their
Stratigraphic and Sedimentary Record

*T178*       Megaflood Path from Ice Lobe to Ice Lobe: Honoring the
Contributions to the Ice Age Flood History By Roy Breckenridge, Gene Kiver,
and Dale Stradling

*T179*       New Concepts in Glaciation of the Western Cordillera of North
America

*T188*       Interrelationship between Tectonic Uplift and Quaternary
Glaciations on the Tibetan Plateau and Its Surrounding Mountains

*T191*       Looking to the Past to Understand the Future: Glacial
Chronology and Process

*T192*       Mountain Glaciation and Climate Change of the Past and Present
in the Western Americas

*T239*       Geophysics on Ice

--
Nick Holschuh