[CRYOLIST] Biogeochemical cycling in the Polar Regions: Terrestrial and Ocean interactions

Emily I. Stevenson eis22 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 05:27:50 PST 2017

Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting your great Polar research to the session EN7:
'Biogeochemical cycling in the Polar Regions: Terrestrial and Ocean
interactions'. The deadline is the 1st November 2017 for the Polar
conference in June 2018, Davos, Switzerland. Details below:

http://www.polar2018.org/

Our session looks to explore and integrate advances in understanding of
changing biogeochemical cycling both between and in the terrestrial
cryosphere and polar oceans. We invite researchers from diverse
backgrounds (geochemical, terrestrial, cryospheric, and marine) to
present information on short- and long-term studies of biogeochemical
cycling of inorganic and organic elemental species, isotopes and
nutrients; new observational, experimental and simulation approaches to
quantify changing fluxes and ecological responses. We encourage
submissions from geographically diverse polar locations, i.e.
pan-Arctic, Antarctic, Southern Ocean and third Polar Regions.

Climate warming-induced changes in high latitude polar regions,
surrounding oceans, and high altitude third pole regions, have the
potential to significantly influence the future of Earth's
biogeochemical cycles. Landscape evolution through permafrost thawing,
glacial retreat and cryogenic weathering processes may have a cascading
effect on the terrestrial biogeochemistry and hydrological cycle.
Changing freshwater fluxes may alter mineral, elemental, nutrient and
carbon fluxes into the ocean, affecting their productivity and cycling
globally through overturning circulation. Understanding and quantifying
the impact of such inputs are critical to our understanding of how the
polar oceans respond to these changes, and on the efficiency of the
global ocean as a net atmospheric carbon sink.

You can submit abstracts until the 12th Nov here:
http://www.polar2018.org/abstracts.html

With very best wishes

Emily, Mel, Bhaskar and Tom

Emily I Stevenson (Dr)