[CRYOLIST] AGU 2018: The Role of Ground Ice in Permafrost Hydrology and Geomorphology (C041)

Moritz Langer moritz.langer at geo.hu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 2 06:10:13 PDT 2018

Dear permafrost and polar research enthusiasts,

this is another advertisement for an AGU session on:

*The Role of Ground Ice in Permafrost Hydrology and Geomorphology (C041)*
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/45815

Ground ice content strongly determines the sensitivity of permafrost
processes and Arctic ecosystem functions to a warming climate. Ground
ice can impede the propagation of warming into permafrost, but once ice
melts a wide range of morphodynamic and erosional processes are
triggered. These processes lead to lasting and often irreversible
changes in topography, hydrology, vegetation, biogeochemistry, and the
associated ecosystem fluxes. Despite the importance of ground ice,
surprisingly little is known about its occurrence and spatial
variability. Furthermore, processes related ground ice melt are usually
disregarded in modeling exercises leaving large uncertainties in current
climate impact studies. However, novel remote sensing techniques,
field-based investigations and experiments, and new model approaches aim
to fill this gap. We invite studies that use in situ experiments and
observations, remote sensing data, models, or combination thereof, to
gain a better understanding of ground ice and its role in permafrost
hydrology and geomorphology.

*Abstract Submission Deadline: 1 August 2018, 11:59 PM EDT*

This session is chaired by Cathy Wilson (Los Alamos National Lab),
Sebastian Westermann (University of Oslo), and me (Alfred Wegener
Institute).
We are looking forward to meet you in Washington, D.C.

Best wishes
Moritz

--
Dr. Moritz Langer
Group Leader BMBF Young Investigator Group PermaRisk

Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI)
Telegrafenberg A45 | 14473 Potsdam
Tel.: +49 (0)331 288 2135

Geographisches Institut | Department of Geography | Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Rudower Chaussee 16 | 12489 Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0)30 2093 6880

www.awi.de/en/science/junior-groups/permarisk.html