[CRYOLIST] Remote sensing glacier processes session at AGU

William Armstrong armstrongwh at appstate.edu
Tue Jul 10 09:29:14 PDT 2018

Dear cryo colleagues,

If you use remote sensing to study glacier processes ranging from calving
to firn densification, please consider submitting to our AGU session
"Glacier processes from large scale remote sensing" (Session C019). The
abstract deadline is 01 Aug 2018 at 23:59 (EDT).

Invited speakers Ellyn Enderlin (University of Maine) and Thorsten Seehaus
(Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg) will embody this session's theme of using
large spatial and/or temporal scale remote sensing datasets to further
process understanding of glacier behavior across the world's glacierized
regions.

*Session description*
In glaciology, as in many fields, the rate of data production has reached a
pace that often exceeds the rate of insight generation. A wide array of
earth-observing satellites allow scientists to investigate glacier
processes over larger spatial scales at higher temporal resolution than
ever before. However, extracting process understanding from this rich data
record remains a challenge.

Deeper understanding of glacier processes is critical for accurately
assessing and predicting current and future glacier change and associated
downstream impacts. In this session, we seek studies that exploit the
wealth of remote sensing data to increase our understanding of glacier
processes, including: basal motion, calving, grounding line migration,
elevation change, ice flow, surging, and mass balance. We particularly seek
large spatial and/or temporal scale studies that characterize process
variability and its controlling physical factors. We also solicit studies
using innovative analysis techniques, such as cross-sensor approaches,
machine learning, and modeling-aided interpretation.

Please feel free to contact me or another convener if you have any
questions. We look forward to seeing you in December!

Your conveners,

Bas Altena (University of Oslo)
Billy Armstrong (Appalachian State University)
Amaury Dehecq (NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
Twila Moon (National Snow and Ice Data Center)

William Armstrong, PhD
Visiting Assistant Professor
Geological and Environmental Sciences
Appalachian State University