[CRYOLIST] Visiting Instructor in Climate Science (1 - 2 years) at University of Portland

Sweeney, Kristin sweeneyk at up.edu
Tue Jul 10 11:22:25 PDT 2018

Hello all,

The Department of Environmental Studies at University of Portland seeks applications for a 1-year, full-time Visiting Instructor position (with likelihood of renewal for a second year), to provide instruction for lecture and laboratory courses in oceanography, climatology, and/or atmospheric science. The position will begin August 15, 2018. We expect a related search at the tenure-track assistant professor level for fall 2020.

The department has 4 full-time faculty and 6 concurrent faculty from across the University. We offer a B.S. in Environmental Science and a B.A. in Environmental Ethics and Policy and have ~100 majors. The department is known on campus for a strong focus on student research and community engagement; we are especially interested in candidates with interest in fostering these activities.

Duties and Responsibilities:

Teaching duties will be primarily existing upper-level curriculum, including climatology, meteorology (or a class of the candidate’s choice), atmospheric or ocean science laboratory, and physical oceanography. Depending on candidate interest, there is also the opportunity to teach introductory-level natural hazards or develop a 300-level course in the candidate’s specialty. The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester.

Qualifications

We prefer that candidates hold a PhD in environmental science, geography, atmospheric science, oceanography, earth science, or a related field at the time of employment. Outstanding candidates who are ABD are also encouraged to apply. Successful candidates should: (1) demonstrate a commitment to excellence and reflection in undergraduate teaching and (2) provide evidence of their ability to work in a collegial, interdisciplinary scholarly environment.

Application Instructions

Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, unofficial graduate transcripts, and contact information for three references at up.hiretouch.edu and via email to sweeneyk at up.edu. Due to the short timeframe, interviews will be conducted and offers made on a rolling basis. Please contact Kristin Sweeney, sweeneyk at up.edu<mailto:sweeneyk at up.edu>, with any questions.