[CRYOLIST] AGU Polar Science Communication Session

Ellyn Enderlin ellyn.enderlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:20:18 PDT 2018

Hi all,
If you are passionate about polar science communication, education, and/or
outreach then we strongly encourage you to submit an abstract to our AGU
Education Session (ED024): "Connecting the World to the Poles through
Science Communication, Education and Outreach". We welcome presentations
discussing: 1) science communication targeting both academic and
non-academic audiences, 2) connections between polar research communities
around the world, and 3) measures of evaluating science communication
strategies. Our invited speakers, Dr. Alice Bradley and Julia Dooley, will
be presenting on effective polar science communication strategies from last
summer's APECS Polar SciComm Workshop and Polar Educators International as
a legacy of the IPY, respectively.

As always, you can submit abstracts to both education and science sessions
at the AGU Fall Meeting, so do not worry that you have to choose one! Feel
free to contact Louise Huffman (louise.t.huffman at dartmouth.edu) if you have
questions about our session. We hope to see you in Washington, D.C. in
December!

Your conveners,
Louise Huffman (Ice Drilling Program Office)
Ellyn Enderlin (University of Maine)
Diana Gergel (University of Washington Seattle)
Alex Thornton (Arctic Research Consortium of the US)

ED024 Abstract: Connecting the World to the Poles through Science
Communication, Education and Outreach
Effective science communication is critical for dissemination of research
outcomes to peers and the broader public, as changes occurring in the
Earth’s polar regions impact people across the globe. Communicating
knowledge of polar regions develops a deeper understanding among the
broader public of the importance of polar regions to other parts of the
world. This polar science session will highlight education, outreach and
capacity building activities and science communication strategies that
incorporate collaborations between researchers, educators, communicators
and others across the globe engaged in cross-cultural polar science
knowledge transfer. The session further recognizes that science
communication is a skill and encourages presentations that share examples
of successful implementation. We welcome presentations discussing: 1)

--
Ellyn M Enderlin, PhD
Research Assistant Professor