[CRYOLIST] Collaborative, Community Facility for preparation of samples - 10Be and 26Al - or just learn more about cosmogenic nuclides

Paul Bierman Paul.Bierman at uvm.edu
Wed Jul 11 18:02:25 PDT 2018

Hello Colleagues,
Do you use cosmogenic nuclides in your research or would you like to?  Thanks to a five year grant from the US National Science Foundation, the University of Vermont cosmogenic sample preparation laboratory is now open to the community.
The NSF/UVM Community Cosmogenic Facility hosts visiting students, staff, faculty, and professionals to process their own samples and learn cosmogenic nuclide methods. We engage in a wide range of Earth surface studies including quantifying erosion rates, determining glacial histories, understanding landscape formation process rates, and assessing recent tectonic activity.  All technical support costs are paid by NSF; supplies required to process samples are billed to users at rates that reflect our costs. We are excited to collaborate on proposal development, experimental design, sample preparation, data interpretation, and publication.
We invite you to come to the community facility to quantify Earth surface dates and rates, or simply to learn about cosmogenic nuclide studies by observing and interacting with us and other visitors. We seek to foster a collaborative, supportive environment built around scientific inquiry and a shared curiosity about Earth surface processes. Our visitors have a wide variety of backgrounds and experience levels, and come for days to months, often working in parallel with other visitors who have shared interests.
More information is available on our website, http://uvm.edu/cosmolab<http://uvm.edu/cosmolab> (see especially the “Visitor Information” tab on the left navigation). You can also follow us on Facebook (“NSF UVM Community Cosmogenic Facility”) and Instagram (“uvmcosmolab”) to see our visitors in action.
Please share this announcement with others who may be interested and contact us with questions. Hope to see you in Vermont,

Paul Bierman
Professor of Geology and Laboratory Director
Paul.Bierman at uvm.edu<mailto:Paul.Bierman at uvm.edu>

Lee Corbett
Research Affiliate and Laboratory Manager
Ashley.Corbett at uvm.edu<mailto:Ashley.Corbett at uvm.edu>
Paul Bierman, Professor of Geology
University of Vermont
Delehanty Hall, 180 Colchester Ave