[CRYOLIST] Principles for Conducting Research in the Arctic - Draft for Comment
Crain, Renee D.
rcrain at nsf.gov
Thu Jul 12 10:12:45 PDT 2018
The Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC) is seeking comment from the public on newly revised Principles for Conducting Research in the Arctic<https://www.iarpccollaborations.org/principles.html>.
IARPC is interested in all comments on the Principles document, including the core principles and sub-bullets describing the approaches that researchers are encouraged to adopt across all stages of research. The core Principles for Conducting Research in the Arctic are:
* Be Accountable
* Establish Effective Two-way Communication
* Respect Local Culture and Knowledge
* Build and Sustain Relationships
* Pursue Responsible Environmental Stewardship
The IARPC Principles Revision Working Group revised the existing Principles for the Conduct of Research in the Arctic, adopted on June 28, 1990, and published by IARPC in volume 9, (Spring, 1995, pp.56-57) of the journal "Arctic Research of the United States" (https://www.arctic.gov/publications/related/arotus.html). The 1990 version has now been updated and renamed Principles for Conducting Research in the Arctic, hereafter the Principles, to reflect current research disciplines and approaches in the Arctic. The Principles Revision Working Group prepared the draft revised Principles after a year-long process that included a comprehensive literature review and seeking and receiving diverse input from Alaska Native people, Federal and State and local agency representatives, and researchers by a variety of methods, including listening sessions at scientific conferences, through a Federal Register Notice, and targeted interviews with Alaska residents and researchers. The Principles are directed at federally-funded researchers, though they may be useful to academic, state, local, and tribal researchers in the Arctic.
More information is available on the IARPC website: https://www.iarpccollaborations.org/principles.html
Please submit comments in one of the following ways:
* Submit a comment via email to iarpcprinciples at nsf.gov<mailto:iarpcprinciples at nsf.gov>
* Submit a comment on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/iarpccollaborations)
* Attend a listening session via teleconference or webinar on (July 31, https://iarpc.zoom.us/j/2069310090)
* Comment through the Federal Register https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/07/11/2018-14802/request-for-feedback-on-the-interagency-arctic-research-policy-committees-draft-principles-for
* Representatives will solicit comments at the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission (AWSC) Quarterly Meeting (July 23-25) and the UIC Science Day (Aug. 2)
* Contact the working group chairpersons Renee Crain (rcrain at nsf.gov<mailto:rcrain at nsf.gov>) or Roberto Delgado (robert.delgado at nih.hhs.gov<mailto:robert.delgado at nih.hhs.gov>)
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review and comment on the draft Principles. Your comments would be most helpful by September 4, 2018.
Renee Crain, NSF and Roberto Delgado, NIH
Chairpersons, Principles Revision Working Group
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the CRYOLIST