[CRYOLIST] PhD or post doc offer in ice core geochemistry

Joel Savarino joel.savarino at cnrs.fr
Thu Mar 8 07:20:42 PST 2018

Dear list members and others

I’m looking for a highly motivated post doc (2 years) student interested by the analysis of an array of ice cores collected  in coastal and inland regions of Antarctica.

The objective of work is to test the ability of stable isotopes of inorganic compounds dissolved in the ice matrix to trace the snow accumulation.
Applicant should have a good understanding of analytical chemistry, with basic knowledge in environmental chemistry dealing with trace species.

Knowledge of at least one of the following techniques: IRMS, GC or LC, optical spectroscopy is favourable. Basic knowledge in physical chemistry of the

atmosphere or closely related disciplines will be preferable but not necessary. The very oriented laboratory and fieldwork of this thesis requires a candidate

motivated and skilful with manual work. It is expected that the candidate will be organized, autonomous and show a spirit of initiative. Work in cold conditions (

cold room and/or sampling work in Antarctica) is a characteristic of this position.

Although this position is currently fully funded under the auspice of the Fondation BNP-Paribas EAIIST project (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COEpCGFhg-4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COEpCGFhg-4>),
the applicant will first apply to the new French program « Make our planet great again »  post doc program (https://www.campusfrance.org/en/how-to-apply-for-the-make-our-planet-great-again-programs <https://www.campusfrance.org/en/how-to-apply-for-the-make-our-planet-great-again-programs>).
in order to attract more funding to the project. Note that French nationals are not allowed to apply.

For any further information, please contact me directly, off the list.

SAVARINO Joël - Senior Scientist (Directeur de Recherche)
Institut des Géosciences de l’Environnement (Glaciologie)
UGA
54 Rue Molière
38058 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Office: +33 (0)476 824 251 lab: +33 (0)476 824 256
Fax: +33 (0)476 824 201
ResearchID <http://www.researchid.com/rid/H-9730-2012> ORCID <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-6708-9623> ResearchGate <http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Joel-Savarino/>
Favor open access journal like Elementa <http://www.elementascience.org/>: The Science of the Anthropocene