[CRYOLIST] John Nye 1923–2019

Magnus magnus at igsoc.org
Mon Jan 14 05:16:03 PST 2019

Dear Cryolist members

It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that our esteemed colleague and a giant within the field of Glaciology, John Nye, died last week on the 8 January. He would have become 96 next month.

John joined the IGS back in 1950 and was thus our second oldest member. He just renewed his membership for 2019.

John served the IGS in many ways, most notably as its President for the period 1966–1969. He was awarded the Seligman Crystal in 1969.

We will post more information as we get it and of course we will publish a full obituary for John both online and in our newsletter, ICE.

On our website is a link to THE Nye lecture that John gave at the IGS British Branch meeting in Bristol in 2014.

All the best
Magnús

Magnús Már Magnússon
Secretary General