[CRYOLIST] Call for young reviewers of the IPCC AR6 WG1 report (First Order Draft)

Nicolas Champollion nicolas.champollion at uni-bremen.de
Thu Jan 17 08:19:05 PST 2019

Dear cryolist,

The first order draft (FOD) of the Working Group I (WGI) 6th Assessment
Report (AR6) by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC)
is due to be published around 2021.*APECS, PYRN and YESS, WCPA, and
PAGES ECN are coordinating the next review by early career experts that
will take place between April and June 2019.*

Since April 2018, the APECS-IPCC working group has taken part in two
rounds of review of the Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a
Changing Climate (SROCC). More than one hundred international early
career reviewers have participated - by participating, reviewers not
only get recognized as early career experts, but also gain valuable
training and insight in the scientific review process for reports
written for policy makers.

*APECS*aims to produce a group review in collaboration with other early
career associations such aPermafrost Young Research Network (PYRN)
<https://pyrn.arcticportal.org/>,Young Earth System Scientists (YESS)
community <https://www.yess-community.org/>,Young Professionals Network
of the World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA)
<https://www.iucn.org/commissions/world-commission-protected-areas/our-work/young-professionals>,
andPast Global Changes (PAGES) Early Career Network (ECN
<http://www.pages-igbp.org/about/structure/26-initiatives/working-group/1888-ecn-intro>)
for AR6.

*We are now looking for reviewers for the first round of review of the
IPCC AR6 WGI report.*We encourage researchers from various career stages
to participate, including advanced Master students, PhD students,
postdoctoral researchers and early career faculty members. If you do not
fit in these categories and are interested in applying, please email us
with a short explanation so we can determine eligibility. If you want to
participate, please fill outthis online form
<https://goo.gl/forms/EonWzeb8yTwPZTxG3>,*by no later than March 1, 2019
(23:59 GMT)*. We will assess all the applications and select
participants based on Motivation and Research experience. Moreover, we
will try to balance the selection of applicants further based on gender,
career stage and geographical location. Accepted participants will be
assigned to a chapter and contacted by the end of March 2019.

This round of reviews will take place from*May 1st*to*June 15 of 2019*.
Please ensure that you have the necessary amount of time available
during this period. Previous reviewers spent in average 40h hours on the
process including training and reviewing period. You need to be familiar
with the recent literature in your field and will be asked to review*a
minimum of 10 to 20 pages of the report*(If you want to review the
entire report, IPCC offer opportunities on their side). These are not
anonymous reviews - you will be individually credited for your
contribution, and your comments will be public record. Further
information about the review process will be shared with selected
participants.

For details on the general review process for the report, please
visit:https://www.ipcc.ch/report/sixth-assessment-report-working-group-i/.
<https://www.ipcc.ch/report/sixth-assessment-report-working-group-i/>If
you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact the
project group leader:gwenaelle.gremion at gmail.com
<mailto:gwenaelle.gremion at gmail.com>

Best regards, APECS

--
Champollion Nicolas - Postdoc on Glacier Evolution Projections
Climate Lab - Institute of Geography - University of Bremen

E-mail: nicolas.champollion at uni-bremen.de
Tel: +49 421 218 67177
Webpage: http://www.geographie.uni-bremen.de/en/staff