[CRYOLIST] MSc(Res) Polar and Alpine Change at University of Sheffield, UK

Felix S Ng f.ng at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 05:20:13 PST 2019

Dear all,

Please kindly forward this advert to final-year undergraduate students in
your department or institution. We have an Open Day coming up on 27th
February.
--

*MSc(Res) Polar and Alpine ChangeDepartment of Geography, University of
Sheffield, UK*

This 1-year Masters of Research (MSc(Res)) programme should interest
students looking for Masters-level research training and experience within
the broad subject area of cold-regions science. Its research areas include
glaciology, geomorphology, climate change and reconstruction, Quaternary
science, geochronology, and oceanic and atmospheric processes.

The programme targets those wishing to gain an intensive research
experience and expand their range of research skills before progressing to
a PhD. Training is provided in the form of a research apprenticeship within
the Ice and Climate Research (ICERS) cluster of academic and postdoctoral
staff and PhD and Masters students. Our students carry out a major *Research
Project* under supervision by the ICERS staff. Another key feature of the
programme is a summer *Field Course* module. Its provisional destination is
Western Greenland, although alternative field locations may be considered
that reflect the interests and experience of our staff.

We invite applications from students who are performing at (a minimum) good
Upper-Second Class undergraduate level at a UK University or graduated at
that level, or an international equivalent, in a relevant subject area (for
example, Physical Geography, Environmental / Earth / Ocean Sciences,
Geology, Physics, and Natural Science).

Our alumni have gone on to secure competitive PhD places (and,
subsequently, postdoctoral and academic positions) at research-intensive
institutions in the UK and other countries. Other alumni have begun careers
as environmental professionals, amongst a range of career destinations.

*Our next Open Day is on Wednesday 27th February 2019. There will be more
Open Days later this year. We are now considering applications for
September 2019 entry.*

Further details about the course can be found at:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/masters/polarandalpinechange

If you wish to attend the Open Day, please email geo-apply at sheffield.ac.uk
or book online at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/masters/opendays

Best wishes,
Felix Ng
Programme Director, MSc(Res) in Polar and Alpine Change

Dr. Felix Ng                    email: f.ng at sheffield.ac.uk
Department of Geography
University of Sheffield
Winter Street, Sheffield
S10 2TN                         tel: [+44] 114-2227949
United Kingdom                  fax: [+44] 114-2797912
Website   http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/staff/ng_felix/index