[CRYOLIST] IUGG session: "JG04 - Geodesy for Atmospheric and Hydrospheric Climate Research"

Price, Stephen F sprice at lanl.gov
Tue Jan 29 16:42:55 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the Joint Symposium JG04  - Geodesy for Atmospheric and Hydrospheric Climate Research at the IUGG General Assembly in Montreal (July 8-18, 2019, http://iugg2019montreal.com/).

The session aims at bringing together geodesists using different observation techniques (GRACE, GNSS, altimetry,...) with climate scientists / modelers. It is jointly organized by the IUGG associations IAG (geodesy), IAMAS (atmosphere), IACS (cryosphere), and IAPSO (ocean).
We invite contributions dealing with (1) using geodetic data to characterize, analyse, and understand current climate change, (2) evaluating climate models against geodetic data, (3) using these data to constrain and improve climate projections, (4) creating long and consistent geodetic time series, (5) climate modelling of geodetically observable variables, and (6) the prospects of future missions.

Please find more information in the session description below and under the following link: http://iugg2019montreal.com/jg.html.

The abstract deadline is February 18th.

We are looking forward to your contribution!

Kind regards
Annette Eicker (IAG)

(on behalf of the convenor team: Sonia Seneviratne (IAMAS), Stephen Price (IACS), Benoit Meyssignac (IAPSO), Rosa Paccione (IAG) )

JG04  - Geodesy for Atmospheric and Hydrospheric Climate Research  (IAG, IAMAS, IACS, IAPSO)

The growing record of (space-)gravimetric and geodetic data (GRACE, GNSS, radar altimetry, InSAR, VLBI, tide gauges…) provides a new view on Essential Climate Variables such as tropospheric water vapor, water storage and ice mass changes, steric and barystatic sea level, sea surface winds, waves, sea ice extent/thickness, or the Earth’s energy imbalance. These observations have the advantage to be globally homogeneous, and independent from other data commonly used to develop and evaluate climate models.

Geodetic time series reveal a complex picture of natural climate variability, long-term climate change and anthropogenic modifications. Combined with other observations or re-analyses, they provide excellent tools to assess climate models and improve our understanding of land- and ocean-atmosphere interactions.