[CRYOLIST] Postdoc opportunity for 3 years at IMAU, The Netherlands

Kuipers Munneke, P. (Peter) P.KuipersMunneke at uu.nl
Mon Oct 7 02:56:27 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

At IMAU (Institute for Marine and Atmospheric research in Utrecht, The Netherlands), we are looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher (1 fte, 3 years fully funded) to work on remote sensing and/or modelling of the Antarctic Ice Sheet. This work is part of a project that aims to improve our understanding of the effects of surface melt in Antarctica.

Apply here by October 25: https://www.academictransfer.com/en/286293/postdoctoral-researcher-in-remote-sensing-10-fte/

At IMAU, we study Antarctic surface melt and the near-surface using regional climate models and in-situ observations. Your task is to complement this work with remote sensing, developing new observational techniques (e.g., from MODIS, CryoSat-2, QuikSCAT) and integrate them with models and in-situ observations. Your work will lead to enhanced knowledge of the Antarctic ice sheet surface, to improved estimates of current meltwater production, and it will help to improve the representation of the ice-sheet surface in climate models. You will work in close collaboration with dr. Peter Kuipers Munneke, dr. Bert Wouters and prof. Michiel van den Broeke (IMAU), and with dr. Stef Lhermitte (TU Delft).

Requirements

We are looking for an enthusiastic, curious and collaborative candidate with a (near-)completed PhD in Earth Sciences, Physics, Geophysics, or closely related area. A strong background in remote sensing analysis is required, but we will also consider candidates with a strong background in relevant snow/firn/hydrological/climate modelling. Further, you will be able to demonstrate good writing and presentation skills, good programming skills (MatLab/Python or similar), and a record of peer-reviewed publications.

Conditions of employment

This is an appointment of 1.0 FTE for the duration of three years . A reduced appointment (e.g., 0.8 FTE) is negotiable. The minimum gross salary is €3,255 and the maximum gross salary is €4,978.

The full vacancy, including more information about terms of employment, working at IMAU, Utrecht University and the appealing city of Utrecht in The Netherlands can be found here:

https://www.academictransfer.com/en/286293/postdoctoral-researcher-in-remote-sensing-10-fte/

Please do not hesitate to share this vacancy!

Peter Kuipers Munneke

Dr Peter Kuipers Munneke
Postdoctoral researcher

Institute for Marine and Atmospheric research Utrecht (IMAU)
Utrecht University

Mail address:
PO Box 80.000
3508 TA Utrecht, The Netherlands