[CRYOLIST] Planetary Science Faculty Position at the University of Michigan

Jeremy Bassis jbassis at umich.edu
Fri Oct 18 04:08:49 PDT 2019

Dear Cryolist,

The University of Michigan welcomes applications for a tenure track position in the field of planetary science.  We would be delighted to hear from applicants with a focus on icy worlds.  The text of the advertisement is included below and a link to the advertisement is here <https://clasp.engin.umich.edu/stories/faculty-position-in-planetary-science/>.

Best,
Jeremy

The Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering <https://clasp.engin.umich.edu/> in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor invites applications for a tenure track faculty position in the field of planetary science.  Although the position is open to all ranks, we especially seek candidates at the Assistant Professor level. We look for candidates who are capable of developing an internationally recognized research program, successfully competing for external funding, mentoring doctoral students, and participating in our educational programs at the graduate and undergraduate levels.  We welcome applications from candidates whose research addresses cross-disciplinary areas that build upon our existing strengths in climate science (including radiative transfer, atmospheric dynamics/chemistry and cryospheric processes), composition, structure, chemistry, and the origin and evolution of planetary atmospheres, planetary surface-atmosphere coupling, and the development of space instrumentation and missions. We are especially interested in candidates with a strong motivation for building bridges between planetary science, including exoplanets, and the climate and space science research programs in our department.

Applications should include a cover letter, CV, research and teaching statements, a statement describing any activities, contributions, or plans related to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion <https://www.engin.umich.edu/about/diversity/>, and a list of four references with contact details. For full consideration, applications compiled into a single PDF should be received before November 15th, 2019. Applications should be addressed to clasp-fac-search at umich.edu <mailto:clasp-fac-search at umich.edu>. Questions about the position or application process can be directed to the search committee chair Jeremy Bassis (jbassis at umich.edu <mailto:jbassis at umich.edu>).

University of Michigan is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. CLASP and the College of Engineering are especially interested in exceptionally well qualified candidates who will contribute, through their research, teaching, and service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. The University is also responsive to the needs of dual-career couples. The University is a non-discriminatory, affirmative action Employer.

Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus, and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do.  Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ <http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/>.

The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair, and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity <http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity>.