[CRYOLIST] PhD student opportunities at University of Rochester

Petrenko, Vasilii vasilii.petrenko at rochester.edu
Fri Oct 25 14:03:39 PDT 2019

The Ice Core and Atmospheric Chemistry Lab at the University of Rochester has openings for two PhD students. Our work uses ice cores from Greenland and Antarctica as well as samples of the modern atmosphere to study past and present environmental change, with the goal of better understanding the Earth’s natural climate system. We regularly conduct ice core drilling expeditions in the polar regions, working both in the extreme frozen interiors of the major ice sheets as well as on their picturesque margins. One of the possible PhD student projects would investigate natural emissions of methane to the atmosphere from geologic reservoirs, both today (using field observations) and over the past several thousand years (using Antarctic ice cores). A second possible project would investigate past variations in the flux of galactic cosmic rays using measurements of carbon-14 in Antarctic ice.
 For more information, please contact Vasilii Petrenko. (vpetrenk at ur.rochester.edu<mailto:vpetrenk at ur.rochester.edu>; Web: <http://www.sas.rochester.edu/ees/petrenko/index.html>)

Vasilii Petrenko
Associate Professor
Dept of Earth and Environmental Sciences
227 Hutchison Hall
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627