[CRYOLIST] Student applications are open now for the Juneau Icefield Research Program 2020 field season.

Annie Boucher annie at juneauicefield.org
Wed Oct 30 13:15:44 PDT 2019

Student applications are open now for the Juneau Icefield Research Program
2020 field season. Application materials are due December 13 for priority
consideration. Applications submitted after the due date will be considered
on a rolling basis.

The Juneau Icefield Research Program (JIRP) offers a summer field course
for students interested in undergraduate-level Polar sciences with a focus
on glaciology, climate processes, glacial geomorphology, periglacial
ecology, and interactions between these systems.  JIRP is also appropriate
for graduate students with limited experience in these topics. Students
learn through academic and research interactions with rotating faculty from
around the world. Lectures and workshops focus on the primary topics listed
above but also cover Alaskan geologic history, geomatics and remote
sensing, geophysics, scientific literacy, and science communication. In
addition, we capitalize on the expertise of our rotating faculty members to
cover current questions in science.

The JIRP field safety curriculum teaches students how to live and work
safely in alpine and polar environments. We train students on basic
backcountry skills, including packing a backpack, hydration/nutrition, and
wilderness medicine. During our two- to- three-week safety orientation, we
progress to covering technical rope skills, backcountry travel on both
crampons and on skis, group management, and route finding. While the first
section of the summer is devoted to safety training, JIRP students use
their skills every day of the season to further their scientific and
academic objectives.

Throughout the summer, JIRP students shadow scientists conducting research
on the Juneau Icefield. Small groups of students, supported by educational
staff, embed with research teams for several days at a time to acquire
hands-on training in the realities of modern fieldwork.

There are no specific prerequisites for JIRP. This is a fantastic
opportunity for students interested in glacial science who do not have
access to relevant coursework at their home institutions. Additionally, we
cater safety training to students with no backcountry background.

For more information, please go to juneauicefield.org/students/information.
With questions, please contact Program Manager Annie Boucher at
annie at juneauicefield.org.

--
Annie Boucher
Program Manager